On Miss America’s Haters

A lot of people don’t believe me when I say I still encounter racism in America in 2013, in Seattle of all places. But then you see this stuff about Miss America.

Sunday night Nina Davuluri, Miss New York, was crowned the winner the 2014 Miss America Pageant. She is the first contestant of Indian descent to be crowned Miss America.

And then I think, “I didn’t really want to say, ‘I told you so’ that much after all.” Because wah. This is the terriblest.

The truth is that even though the People Are Dumb alerts are going wild right now, you have to remember the good in the world, and how we’re never going to get better without saying, “This shit happens, it’s not okay, and I’m here and alive and working hard to make it better.”

So, remember the acronym of happiness, CUP. What is CUP?

C is for cheese.

WP_20130912_002

Eat some. If you don’t eat cheese, this can be broadened to any delicious foodstuff. It doesn’t even have to start with the letter C, like cronuts.

No, wait.

Cheesecake!

Shoot.

Cryogenically frozen Swedish fish? (You can’t actually tell the difference between cryogenically frozen Swedish fish and fresh Swedish fish, because they are MASTERS of the eternal foodstuff, so this one doesn’t make sense.)

The U stands for Unicorn. The P for pie.

unicorn3

Or pills.

unicornofsadness

Maybe pie and pills.

Just remember: Haters gonna be complex individuals with many issues to sort out so maybe just focus on surrounding your own life with as much happiness as possible, because peace and happiness are the best revenge.

And also? Congratulations, Miss America. You’re awfully brave. Pretty, too, but mostly? Brave.

Comments

Oof. I hadn’t seen any of that backlash. Not surprising, sadly. I did like this line of yours: “Haters gonna be complex individuals with many issues to sort out…” Yeah. But that’s a lot of meanness.

Those haters either got way too much love or not enough love from their parents as children. And I’m so glad I’m not crazy when I buy three bags of Swedish fish and then stick them in the fridge, only to remove them 15 minutes later and eat the whole bag and all my teeth rot and fall out on the floor. Or maybe I am crazy.

3. grammy says

Those comments are horrible. Americans are idiots. They don’t know an Indian from anyone else who has tan skin. They also don’t seem to remember that Americans are from every nation and race! Probably 1/3 of Americans have tan skin! I would have told you that people are NOT prejudice against Indians from India, but I guess I’m the dumb one! Besides all of the above, did you see the # of spelling and grammar mistakes in the comments???? I’m sorry :(
    Grammy

• katherine suto says

There are 320 million Americans; did you really expect all of them to be intelligent and kind?! “Consider the source”. These people are the dregs.

cheese + unicorns + pills + pie = total awesomeness!
    CUPP!
    By the way, you may look at me and think “typical white American who blends in and no one notices” (which is so true most of the time), but, when I was in elementary school I was made fun of for being Polish. My maiden name is very obviously Polish and every single day I’d be made fun of because of it. I cried daily. It was horrible. I still don’t quite know why kids in the early 70′s were so against Polish people, but those terrible and frightening years made me more tolerant. So, good from bad, I guess.

I can’t decide which people are the exception in this case (not that I need to decide). Either way, these people are all just crazy assholes (with all “do” respect to Savannah!) Welcome to a post-racial society, all the people who say it is!

The happy part? I don’t know any of these people! And I know A LOT of the best people!

(As an aside, I had a friend in grad school who worked at a computer customer service center in India before matriculating- Dell or HP, I can’t remember which. He told me I would be astonished at the amount of American callers who would apologize to him for bombing his country. Um…?)

That link just makes me so sad. I had no idea that racist comments like that could be thrown around so casually and publicly. I naively thought that racists knew enough to be secretive, at least. This reminds me of a writing class I took freshman year of college. We used to read our essays out loud, and one Asian girl wrote something about racism, and then during the discussion, all these white kids talked about how there really isn’t any racism anymore. The author said yes, there is, but I don’t know if she convinced everyone. I mulled over that class for a long time, because prior to that point I hadn’t really thought much about racism either. I realized that because I am not racist (or at least not consciously), and I do not consort with outspoken racists, and I am not a minority, I don’t come across much racism in my day-to-day life. But that doesn’t mean it’s no longer a problem.

Anyway, bleah. Those comments are horrible.

I saw these comments yesterday and it made me sad. Much like the day when there were all those ridiculous tweets about Marc Anthony singing the national anthem. People are stupid. And mean. And racist. And stupid.

I started obsessing over this when I should’ve been working yesterday, and began looking at the twitter handles to try to figure out just who these dumbasses were. And you know? A bunch of them are football-lovin’ teenage boys. When growing up, I always thought that each generation would be more tolerant than the next. Isn’t that how it should be? What’s happened here?

All I can do it talk to my own football-lovin’ teenage boy, and hope for the best, I suppose.

Lately Ive been in an I HATE EVERYONE mood. So at first your post didn’t help. What a bunch of idiots we’re surrounded with!?! All those ignorant fuckers. GAG. But then your post also reminded me that at least there are a few good ones. Who like cheese and unicorns and pie and make sure we all remember cheese and unicorns and pie. And pills. And thank goodness for people like you!

I got so sad after reading about it. I guess I’m naive, hoping that no one can be that ignorantly hateful.
    I’m going to go practice CUP right now.
    No, I don’t need a cheese substitute. Cheese does just fine.

• says

Word. This should be a t-shirt. Along with a quote I read from Brene Brown: Don’t try to win over the haters. You’re not a jackass whisperer.