I feel like I rarely write about my life. Is that weird, writing every single day and yet not writing about my life at all? I think this may be where I fail at blogging the most. So! I am instituting the Friday Five because…you know. Because.
1. Last night during a game of tag, Sachi and I bumped heads and I almost broke my nose. There was much blood. There was much pain. I got to lay down for the whole evening and watch my first episode of Hart of Dixie, slowly, since I couldn’t really see and it also was not really my thing, and my guess with all the shirtlessness on that show is that that’s the point.
Then Gregg and I pondered whether or not I should go to the ER, and when there was no more blood and less swelling, I decided my nose was not broken, and if it was, I could wait until the kids went to school. (That not-broken hunch is confirmed this morning with only one slightly blackened eye and no elephentine nose.) Motherhood, man. It makes you tough.
2. I haven’t been reading…anything. No blogs (well, OK, I still “read” fashion blogs), no books, no articles. Sometimes I listen to NPR while I’m making dinner and yeah, that’s it. Part of it is because I’m writing like mad–I finished the Office Crush book this week (woo hoo!) and it’s currently being carefully examined by a few beta readers and my agent (aside: I will never, ever, EVER get over saying “my agent”), and I’m revising Book1, which has no title. I mean, it has a title but it’s a terrible title and everyone I know who knows of it hates it. So! It has no title as of yet. So I’m calling it Book1. Maybe I’ll change it up and call it Larry.
Where was I? Why am I in the box? Huh? Oh, right, not reading anything. So, my brain has been in writing mode lately, and so every time I pick up a book, I start analyzing the plot structure, the pacing, how the characters’ dialogue is written ET CETERA. It is crazy-making and is making reading less enjoyable. I even went to a musical with my friend Tricia a few weeks ago and was mentally breaking down the story to see what made it so good. (It was Memphis. Highly recommend.) I guess this is good for my writing, but I could really leave this side effect of writing.
3. I did, however, finish the Chicken Book Club selection for this month, What Alice Forgot. Holy crow, it’s good. Really, really good. You should read it, even if you don’t participate in Chicken Book Club.
4. I bought these Frye boots a couple of weeks ago, because Alison and Stephanie and Erica’s urgings that life is too short to not own the boots you want. (They are also all from Ottawa. (The women, not the boots.) What do they teach in Ottawa? Am imagining large shopping training seminars in all the schools.)
5. I am sooper dooper sad over Community not really returning to TV. I don’t watch much TV. The only shows on my TiVo are Community and Glee, and if it weren’t for the Brittany S. Pierce, I’d give up entirely on Glee. But Community was smart and witty and made so many great references to movies that it was like a film snob’s DREAM. That’s…probably why it’s not doing so well, but as a former film snob (who is no longer, because man, kids suck your will to live and your desire to watch a Dogme95 film), it was great. I am sad that it will probably be cancelled and/or destroyed now that the creator of the show is no longer writing for them.
Wow, that’s a sad way to end it. I’ll leave you with Drunk Octopus instead. (h/t Abby)