Stuff My In-Laws* Say

*If they say it, I figure it’s alright for me to write it, right? Yes?

Comments

Oh, gah! If it’s any consolation, we had to teach grandpa that the n-word was NOT actually a proper descriptor, suitable for polite company.

Hopefully they MEAN well? *fingers crossed*

i love that first one so much. “HEY! I KNOW ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR KIND! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? LIKE, I KNOW THEM IN PERSON!”

I’m from rural Southern Illinois & my FIL always manages to work in comments about how when he calls clients down there he can’t understand their accents & how they don’t have access to the internet & such (i.e.- they are poor, backwards hicks). I usually just smile, but is he trying to offend me or connect with me? I honestly can’t tell. I also forgot that my FIL is my friend on FB, so I moved this comment onto your blog from there just in case.

Oh, hey, I used to work with a bunch of white people. What? Is that not interesting and worthy of pointing out? Huh. Does it make it more interesting if I say that some of them had red hair?

Eesh.

(Also, unrelated, I’m still seeing double posts in my Google reader. Not a big deal, but wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?)

My mother-in-law kindly explained to Muslim me about Catholics [like her]. Because being born and raised in America, I had never encountered a Catholic person before. Like, say, her son.

My grandmother always feels the need to point out the ethnicity of a person in a story she is telling – for example, she went to the bank and the teller was an african-american lady…blah blah rest of bank story). My mom and I try to point out that it’s completely unnecessary to point that out and she gets all offended and then tells us she went to school with a lot of african americans and she isn’t racist. She really DOES mean well….and she will also do this with white people if she knows if they are irish/polish whatever, but, yea. sigh.