Twitter Book Club

Oh hey, I’m starting a twitter book club. Want to join? Here is what you should do:

1. Have a twitter account. They are free. Twitter is extremely addictive, so you shall have no problems getting sucked right in. Then, “follow” me if we’re not already twitter friends and send me a message so I know to add you back (I usually do, but sometimes I am forgetful and eat cheese instead of adding people on twitter).

2. Read the book. I picked it this go-round since it’s the first and that’s easiest, but if you have a suggestion for the next month’s pick, let me know in the comments. We can put it to a vote and read the most popular selection. The book this month is The Mysterious Benedict Society.

3. On Wednesday June 13th at 9pm EST/6pm PST (or whenever you can make it, because psssh, this is twitter, so whatever), go on twitter and start talking about the book. Use the hashtag #twitterbookclub if you want. That will help everyone find the discussion easily. But it’s not absolutely necessary.

4. There is no fourth step.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? I probably can’t help you with any concerns, because what are you concerned about? It’s just a free book club.

But the other two? Let me know.

Comments

And twitter newbies: Make your twitter account public (even if it’s just for the night), so people who don’t follow you can still see your comments. This will be fun!

Hmmmmm. I went to request this from the library and someone narrowly beat me to it. I wonder if there’s someone else in Des Moines who wants it for the same reason? If so, announce yourself!

This sounds like WAY more fun than the book club I quit last year. Which, for some reason, wants me back. Even though I never read the books and ended up complaining about the shitty book choices.

SO.

SIGN ME UP.

Dammit. I just requested the book from my library. I refuse to commit to reading the whole book and participating unless I somehow end up reading faster than 1 page every 2 hours, or something along those lines. Thanks for the recommendation at least. I will try to join in the fun!

5. Laura says

I’m going to the library this weekend! I need to start reading again and this is such a great way to do that! Yay!

Hm. I will think about it. One of my bucket list items involves participating in a book club. However not sure if I can swing the timing of it (and in my fantasy all book clubs include the consumption of wine).

How are we going to decide who pick the next book? Or are we not worrying about that till we see how this first one goes?

• says

I think I’ll put a poll up on the blog to decide, but I need suggestions. If you have something in mind, let me know!

• says

Well, I haven’t read Bared to You or Backstage Pass yet ;) (Kidding. I mean, I’m not, but somehow I’m not so sure those would be the best book club books. Probably won’t fuel much in the way of interesting, thought-provoking conversation.)

I pretty much only use my Twitter account to enter blog giveaways, but then I found a copy of The Mysterious Benedict Society at Goodwill yesterday and assumed that it was fate. Or something. So I’m in. (@sarahjanesews)

I can’t believe that I’m so behind on my Shalini stalking that I totally missed this. I am SO IN for the next book. And I’ll probably stalk your tonight’s meeting, even though I didn’t read the book. Excellent idea!