If Manic Pixie Dream Girls Were Real

My blog pal Slauditory recently wrote about the preponderance of Manic Pixie Dream Girl in movies. Men really seem to love this kind of character. Oh, and in case you haven’t heard of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl, Mindy Kaling explained it best:

The smart and funny writer Nathan Rabin coined the term Manic Pixie Dream Girl to describe this archetype after seeing Kirsten Dunst in the movie “Elizabethtown.” This girl can’t be pinned down and may or may not show up when you make concrete plans with her. She wears gauzy blouses and braids. She likes to dance in the rain and she weeps uncontrollably if she sees a sign for a missing dog or cat. She might spin a globe, place her finger on a random spot, and decide to move there.

It got me to thinking, what if Manic Pixie Dream Girl was real instead of just fictional? What if she could step off the screen and into men’s hearts? Would men everywhere go bananas for this type of crazy, sexy woman?

It would be love at first sight. The man would take in her unnaturally dark, large eyes, her throwback-to-the-fifties era styling, her thick-cut bangs, and how she reminded him of Amelie and Zooey Deschanel all rolled in one. What could there be to not love about her?
Things would heat up and she would be so! much! fun!
She’s hot, she’s unique, she’s fun, and she understands how we must live every moment to its fullest. No wonder men write about her in movies. She would be the best! girlfriend! ever!
Even in the face of a crisis, she knows how to deal with a situation.
Then things start to get a little more intense.
And that’s why, heterosexual men, you should thank your rainbow confetti stars that the Manic Pixie Dream Girl is just a salivating image on the screen. Now go kiss your very normal, penny-pinching wife for cutting the kids’ fingernails, making boring meatloaf for dinner, and never once shouting at a stranger in Goodwill about the brevity of life.

Comments

1. Misty says

This post makes me want to kiss you. I want to make it into a book for my sons' to read when it comes time for partner-choosing.

2. Slauditory says

Yes! This manic magical girl, in real life, can be really, really annoying to be around.

Incidentally…I am going as the African-American Manic Pixie Dream Girl for Halloween. I am crocheting a granny square scarf and making a hearts-and-cupcakes-covered nametag to go with it. I am going to be a hot mess!

3. Slauditory says

Also, you have inspired me to cut up confetti and throw it at people while screaming at them about the brevity of life. (Thank you for making me laugh today!)

4. My Courageous Life says

As I was reading this post this thought occurred to me. One day you're going to be writing a sitcom for tv or the internet. Seriously.

5. Swistle says

Yes. All that free spirit business must seem AWESOME when it seems like she might also be free sexish with any old guy EVEN HIM!

6. Anandi says

haha, love this. she also has to be waif-thin and pasty white, I think. there were a few 90s movies with this girl in it too, and i'm so not remembering what they are now. they always annoyed the crap out of me, though.

7. rockygrace says

This is hilarious. What I want to know is, what happens to the Manic Pixie girls later in life? 'Cause I'm thinking the magical dreamer bullsh*it will only carry you so far …

8. amy b.s. says

this is too funny. although the manic pixie girl is quite an interesting character. i can see the appeal.

9. ohblessherheart says

Manic Pixie Dream Girl is so appealing because she calls to every man's Inner Little Idiot Boy! ;)